We live in an uncertain world, and it seems there are fewer and fewer places we can consider safe from crime and violence. Most of us would like to put our church in that list, but sadly, churches are increasingly falling victim to crimes like theft and vandalism. They are popular targets because they keep unconventional hours and are often opened by congregation members in the evenings for small group meetings, choir practice, or bible studies. Even if you have Georgia church insurance coverage, you want to do whatever you can to keep from being victimized.
How can you protect your church from crime?
There are a few standard measures you can take:
- Keep doors and windows locked
- Make sure you have adequate and properly functioning lights
- Keeping bushes near doors and windows well trimmed
- Make sure you have Georgia church property insurance so that you’ll be covered in the event of a theft
Some churches might consider hiring a security service, but this obviously creates a drain on your budget. What other options do you have?
Ask your congregation to help!
A Church Watch Program, like a Neighborhood Watch Program, is an easy way to keep an eye on your property. It’s simple to get your program started, and it doesn’t cost you anything! Here’s a few tips to get your church watch program started:
1. Talk with your congregation about good stewardship and protecting their church resources and facilities.
2. Ask your members to drive around the property whenever they happen to be nearby. Chances are, they’ll recognize any suspicious cars, people, or activity.
3. Encourage your members not to confront individuals that might be up to no good. If something doesn’t look right, skip the unnecessary risk and contact the police.
4. Aside from the obvious benefits of regular observation of activities around the property, any added traffic can be a big deterrent to potential thieves and vandals.
5. Remind your congregation about your Church Watch Program and the important role they play in making your church a safe place to worship, and thank them for their participation.
Having church property insurance Georgia is an important way to protect your church property. Starting a Church Watch Program is a simple, free way to help protect the resources and facilities God has given you.